Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Chapter 10: What a Saturday in the Buttermilks!

You know you are in for some action when Mike Doyle and Math Birtch are in town. The first one has is eyes on the Mandala and the second one, well, the sit down start to the same problem. Before we go any further, for those who do not know, Math Birtch is one of the English power house. I had the chance to see him hike the Mandala like I climb V2.

We all had are day figured out. Me, I was on a mission to rage on the Evilution. Absolutely stunning line at V10. A series of 5 long hard moves to a few good decent pulls all the way to the lip. I got the kick I was looking for. So nice to climb. Already tired from the previous day, I could only link 3 of the 5 moves. I will be back with a full thank of gaz, let me tell you.

As if I was not tired enough, I decided to try my luck 'Central Direct', 'Plain Drifter High' and 'babagump'. Sent none but had so much fun. Fore sure, they remain on the list of things to do.

With the sun getting behind the mountains, all gathered as the real show was about to start. The pads were set, Mike was going at it with his warm-up dance underneath the Mandala. And he went for it: the opening moves, the foot up, the reset, feet cut loose, the hard moves are done, now it is about keeping it together all the way to the top. Less then a minutes later, the celebration. Nice Mike, nice.

Now, Math Birtch sets up. He is not too happy, his starting holds are wet. Clear signs of disappointment from him and the crowd, the V14 ascent will have to wait.

Check out the new pictures of Math and Mike shoveling the top of the problem.

Of course, all the good things have to come to an end. My friends Karine and Jean-Huge are leaving. Can't really blame them. They are heading to New Zealand. Mike and Audrey are leaving as well, back to work. That has to hurt. As for me, it's been a month that I have left Calgary. I climbed lot's and my body is clearly tired. I will be taking it easy for the next 6 days. Folks, don't expect any sends. All I will do is a bunch of V0-V3, stretching and lot's of opposite muscle workout.

The white Mountains viewed from the Buttermilks.

And don't forget to check out the previous post. I was finaly able to upload some footage. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, isn't mike shorter than you? interesting... does he complain as much? you know you miss me pepe :)

Anonymous said...

We are basically the same height. But he his sooo much stronger.

I do not complain anymore - never did - . I simply do the lines, my way, even if it is much harder. Mike will tell you that.

Miss you all.

Karine said...

C'est bien vrai que c'était une journée mémorable dans les Buttermilks!!! De même que l'ensemble de tout notre séjour à Bishop... On est bien content de t'avoir rencontré là-bas! Depuis on tente tranquillement d'apprivoiser les sorties de baleines à Quantum... Plus d'escalade à venir dans les prochaines semaines! YOupi!youpi!youpi!

Take care et grimpe bien et surtout amuse-toi bien!!!