Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chapter 27: Rain, proposal, send and friends.

Ok, it’s been a while since I made a post. Sorry but not much was happening except for rain. But as the sun returned, life became much more interesting. What should I start with? Climbing in the rain, the wedding proposal, the sending or friends from home dropping in town.

Well, I assume all want me to clear the proposal business. All started as a normal grocery shopping day at the Super Spar (the grocery store). Since I am not much of a cook, I truly appreciate the hot meal buffet where you pick what you want and pay according to the weight of your appetite. So I show up to the ordering counter where the same attendant great me with her usual smile. As she finish rapping up my dinner, she turned around and asked:

Girl: Where are you from?
Pepe: From Canada.
Girl: Do you have a girl friend?
Pepe: Aaaaa no...
Girl: Do you have a wife?
Pepe: Aaaaa NO...
Girl: Well, I can be your wife if you want to.
Pepe: (With eyes wide open in complete shock) aaaaaaaaaaa....
What do you answer to that? All I was able to blab out was "sorry, all I want to do is climb". What I got back from her was ‘the look’. Of course, she did not understand.


Bushman's painting

In South Africa, the winter months of June to August brings rain. Many days in a row at time. We did not see the sun for 6 days. I rested for the first 4 but on the morning of the fifth, I just could not take it anymore. A quick stop a the local campground to round up the only climber present and on are way we were. It was just like climbing in England where you still go out despite the mist, fog and blowing wind. I tried to take pictures but not much was good. What do you expect when you can’t see 5 feet in front of you.

Anyway, the sun is back and I climbed the last three days. Two of the projects on the list got crossed. Rest is required today but tomorrow, I am heading to Arch Valley.

Finally, Josh and Julien, two friends from Calgary and Quebec city, dropped in today. It was good to see friends from home. They are on their way to Namibia where they will spend 2 and a half weeks. Have a good one guys.

Making the best of climbing in the rain: Waiting for your chance and taking it.

6 comments:

lukecloud said...

fuck ya easy! nice send looking strong. glad squal and ju found you. josh was pretty stoked. climbing looks sweet. cant freaking wait.

Anonymous said...

amazing line!!! but what i wanna know is if she was wearing those boots would your answer change? haha!

Anonymous said...

The CFM boots with the latch, ha ha ha! Nop, the answer would be the same.

Anonymous said...

pepe, that might be the only marriage proposal you ever get! think twice...

good to see you're still alive and having a good time.

Anonymous said...

CFM ... you are all wrong they are the FMB ... good work etienne! keep it up
-dom

Anonymous said...

Nice hat you thieving MFer!

and nice send.

Miss ya

K