Friday, May 2, 2008

Chapter 21: I made it.

Wow, 28 hours of traveling. 9 hours to make it to London, 7 hours of waiting in Heathrow and 12 to Cape town. Was I happy to set foot on the ground. So much to tell but where to start. I would like to do it from the beginning but I was in such sleep deprived mode that lot's is still a blur. First of all, all the bags and luggage made it and without any visible damage. Quite surprised I have to say.

As for wheels, I got myself an upgrade from the little Volkswagen Chico - known as the Rabbit in Canada, yes, you can still get that thing brand new here - to a Polo. Not much bigger but more comfortable, well, that is what I am still trying to convince myself off anyway. First mistake, trying to get in the left side of the car. Where is the steering wheel? True true, they drive - if you can call it driving - on the left side of the road. To sit on the right side of the car gives you a weird feeling. Driving on the left side of the road is even more weird. To make it even more challenging, I got on the road in the middle of rush hour, road sides are second to non existing and the airplane breakfast is not setting in very well. I got lost a few times, ending in some ghetto neighborhood. Managing my way to the Interstate N7 - the one I was looking for -, I learned the South African way of driving really fast. To this subject I will dedicate an entire post.

3 hours of driving brought me to Clanwilliam. A little town of less then 5000 in the middle of the no where.

No comments: