Friday, June 27, 2008

Chapter 36: AmsterDam!

Wow, this place is cool! I've been walking around for the last 3 days. Today is rest, weird to say that you need a rest from walking.















I've seen some great things so far: De Nieuwe Kerk ( the new chuch- www.nieuwekerk.nl ), the Van Gogh Museum ( www.vangoghmuseum.nl ), the Red Light district with it's windows, the parks and squares and much more. The Rijksmuseum is definitely on top of the list with the famous story high 'Night Watch' piece by Rembrandt.

The city is amazingly clean. Streets are free of garbage. People here go about their daily businesses on bikes. Put the kids in the front basket, the groceries in the back and there they go. No smog.

The architecture live up to the expectations. Beautiful in every way: The lines, styles, colors and carvings. Most buildings don't exceed 4 stories high. Water canals spread across the city like a giant web.

Boats are a way of transportation and housing for some. Mature trees provide shadings throughout the city. Stone paved little alleys filled with artisans, pubs, coffee shops and street entertainers make up most of the old down town. Wondering around markets and squares, sitting on benches, sipping on a Lattes, I could do just that for a while.





I have to admit, I always thought of myself as being into 'brunette' but since I am here, I'm developing a strong interest in 'blond with blue eyes'. They are everywhere!

Today, I am picking up the 'E van of love'. Tomorrow is shopping for pots, pans, plates and all one's need on the road. I should be getting on the road to Switzerland Sunday or Monday morning.

2 comments:

lukecloud said...

wow man sounds cool must be a world away from sa!

Anonymous said...

dont get to high et bahaha not.